Robert J Vanden BosOf Counsel
Upon graduating from law school from the University of Michigan, Mr. Vanden Bos moved to Portland and has lived and practiced law here ever since. In 1981, Mr. Vanden Bos founded the law firm known as Vanden Bos Law Offices. In 1992, the firm changed its name to Vanden Bos & Chapman, LLP when Ann Chapman became a partner.
The focus of Mr. Vanden Bos’ more than 35 years of practice has been bankruptcy law, with an emphasis on Chapter 11 (Reorganization). In 1992, he served as lead counsel in the largest Chapter 11 case filed to that date (measured by the combined dollar amounts of asset values and debts – in excess of $135,000,000) by an individual debtor in the state of Oregon. Mr. Vanden Bos was also lead counsel in the Chapter 11 case of Broadway Cab Company, the largest taxi company in the state of Oregon.
Mr. Vanden Bos has also represented creditors in bankruptcy proceedings, including a number of Creditors Committees, such as the Creditors Committees for Hood Lumber Company and Beaver Motor Coaches. Mr. Vanden Bos was also local counsel for Cessna Aircraft Company for Cessna’s purchase of the assets of the bankruptcy estate of Columbia Aircraft Manufacturing Corporation, which was headquartered in Bend, Oregon.
As an experienced Portland bankruptcy attorney, Mr. Vanden Bos has also been called to testify as an expert witness on bankruptcy issues in various court proceedings in the state of Oregon, has been a guest expert on KBNP on issues relating to the enactment of the 2005 Bankruptcy Code Amendments, and has been interviewed as a bankruptcy expert on radio station 1190 KEX in Portland, Oregon.
Robert Vanden Bos retired in August of 2018 but remains an important influence on the firm’s attorneys and culture.Outside of the office, Mr. Vanden Bos enjoys spending time with his family, skiing, and fishing.
- Oregon State Bar, 1978
- United States District Court, District of Oregon, 1978
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1979
- United States Supreme Court, 1991
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 1977, top 15%)
- Alma College (B.A., summa cum laude, 1973, top 10%, Economics)
Speaking Engagements / Press Appearances
- Speaker, Northwest Bankruptcy Institute
- Speaker, Debtor-Creditor Saturday session
- Speaker, National Bankruptcy Institute
- Speaker, Litigation Section Oregon State Bar
- Speaker, Multnomah Bar Association
- Bankruptcy and Family Law, 21 Oregon State Bar Continuing Legal Education: Family Law Section 21.1 (co-author) – 2002
- Various Advice columns in the Oregonian
- AV® Rated Martindale-Hubbell® – 1992-2018 (Highest Rating)
- Bar Register from 2003 to 2018
- Oregon Super Lawyers® list (limited to top 5% of Oregon lawyers) from 2006 to 2018
- Multnomah County Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar Member of Debtor-Creditor Section
- Member of American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Debtor-Creditor Section of Oregon State Bar